Nothing about Bikram’s Beginning Yoga Class™ is haphazard. It is a twenty-six asana series designed to scientifically warm and stretch muscles, ligaments and tendons in the order in which they should be stretched.
Bikram’s twenty-six exercises systematically move fresh, oxygenated blood to one hundred percent of your body, to each organ and fiber, restoring all systems to healthy working order, just as Nature intended. Proper weight, muscle tone, vibrant good health, and a sense of well-being will automatically follow.
“Your Progress the honest time and effort you give to Yoga.”
How quickly you progress will depend entirely on you. It will have to do with how well you understand what you are trying to accomplish in each pose, how honestly you try to accomplish your goal, and how supple your muscles and joints have become in comparison to the point at which you began. In Yoga there is no standard of comparison except yourself. Perfect is the best you can do that day.
The truth about the heat:
- Your body burns fat more effectively, fat may be redistributed and burned as energy during the class. It is common to lose centimeters of shape in a very short time
- The heat produces a fluid-like stretch allowing for greater range of movement in joints, muscles, ligaments and other supporting structures of the body
- Capillaries dilate in the heat; more effectively oxygenating the tissues, muscles, glands and organs and helping in the removal of waste products
- Your peripheral circulation improves due to enhanced perfusion of your extremities
- Your metabolism speeds up the breakdown of glucose and fatty acids
- You benefit from a strengthening of willpower, self control, concentration and determination in this challenging environment
- Your cardiovascular system gets a thorough workout
- Your muscles and connective tissue become more elastic and allow for greater flexibility with less chance of injury and improved resolution of injury
- Sweating promotes detoxification and elimination through the skin – which is the body’s largest eliminating organ
- Just as when your body raises its temperature to fight infection, the raised temperature in the room will assist in improving T-cell function and the proper functioning of your immune system
- Your nervous system function is greatly improved and messages are carried more efficiently to and from your brain
- Metabolism improves in your digestive system and in the body’s cells (that is food in the gut and nutrients in the cells)
The 26 Postures
If practiced regularly, Bikram’s yoga will reduce many symptoms of chronic illness and unite the mind, body and spirit. Benefits include: increased flexibility, strength and balance, weight loss, defined muscle tone, improved energy, and a slowed aging process. In summary, Bikram’s yoga is an excellent all-around practice to enjoy for the rest of your life.